Location & directions
Space to Emerge is held in Fellfoot Wood. Fellfoot Wood is a sustainably managed woodland close to Ulverston in Cumbria.
The address is: Fell Foot Wood, Newby Bridge, Ulverston, Cumbria, LA12 8NN
Check in is from 1pm on the Friday until 8pm.
When you arrive you will drive through the wood yard and up the hill. Park in the car park by the toilets and come to the barn to check in. There you will be given a map and programme, and information on where you can camp. You can drive to your camping spot and leave your car there.
PLEASE NOTE: The gates to Fell Foot Wood will close at 10pm on Friday evening, so if there is at all a chance you will arrive after 10pm please contact us now to ask for the code for the gate. If you don’t, you will not be able to get access, or call us, as mobile reception is really limited.
PLEASE ALSO NOTE: If you are planning to arrive on the Saturday morning, the gates open at 8am.
You will receive a full programme for the weekend when you arrive at the check in desk.
The ticket price for the weekend remains the same whether you choose to camp or not, and stay on or off site.
There are no ‘Day Tickets’. If you wish to come for just one day you will need to purchase a weekend ticket.
Tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable.
We do not post tickets out. When you book your name will be added to a list and all you need to do is come to the reception desk when you arrive and say your name and we will check you off our list and give you an arm band for the weekend.
If you buy several tickets, you do not need to camp in the same tent – you can camp in separate tents.
The main accommodation is camping and you will need to bring everything you need to camp comfortably in mid May. The temperature can drop at night and get quite chilly so please make sure you bring a thermal layer to lie on, and a good sleeping bag and some blankets. We have written a guide to help you pack if you are not a seasoned camper, or are new to camping.
Please note this is a basic campsite. There is no electric hook up and no showers.
You will be able to park your car next to where you are camping.
If you are looking for something more luxurious then there are a few lovely yurts you can rent from The Lovely Yurt Company. These may be available to hire on the weekend but please contact The Lovely Yurt Company for details on availability.
Also Barry the owner of Fellfoot Wood has a couple of basic pod type structures called Wild Lodges which sleep 5 people. Please contact Barry at Fellfoot Wood directly to hire these.
We are also in the heart of the Lake District so there is plenty of off-site B&B accommodation available if you would like to sleep off-site. Fellfoot Wood opens at 8am and closes at 10pm, so you are able to arrive and leave during these times.
Use the Fellfoot Wood postcode LA12 8NN in your accommodation search – the closest town is Ulverston which is 9 miles/ 20 minutes away. The nearest YHA youth hostel is 25 minutes away at Hawkshead with a bed in a shared room for £28 per night.
Campervans and Caravans
There is limited space for smaller/standard campervans but not for larger ones or motorhomes. The site is not suitable for caravans of any description.
You will need to bring all your food for the weekend with you. There are no cooking facilities on site so if you are wanting to cook food you will need to bring your own camping gas stove.
There is a bring-and-share supper on the Friday night, so if you would like to be a part of this then please bring a dish to share. There will be vegans, vegetarians, celiacs and paleo diets to cater for, so just bring along something that you would enjoy eating and that overall all dietary requirements should be covered. All we ask is that if you are bringing eggs and meat, that the eggs are from free range chickens and the meat is from animals which are outdoor reared.
You can of course go offsite for your meals should you wish to. Ulverston and Windermere are both a 20 minute drive away. There is also a petrol station with a small shop a few miles away.
The water on-site cannot be drunk, so please bring all your drinking water with you. Bottled water is available to buy from the site owner at a cost of 20p for 2 litres.
Alcohol is permitted on-site
Coming alone or your first time at Space to Emerge
We have a reserved camping area for people who are coming to this event alone and would like to camp with other lone campers.
Late afternoon on the Friday we will be giving a site orientation tour for those of you who would like to be shown around.
A checklist of essentials you need to bring
Remember that this is Britain(!) so, you will need to cover all bases – sun cream, waterproofs and warm clothes – pack for every eventuality!
Here is a basic packing list to help:
- Your authentic self and an open mind!
- All your drinking water or a way of boiling water to drink on-site. There is water onsite but it is not suitable for drinking.
- All your food. This includes your breakfasts, lunches and snacks, and also a dish for the feast on both the Friday and Saturday evening if you would like to join in with that. If you are bringing a meat dish or animal products please take steps to make sure it’s from an animal which has had a happy life. There is a BBQ on the Saturday night so you can cook any meat/ veggie alternatives on that if you would like to. Other food ideas for the bring-and-share feast include salad, fruit, quiche, dips, breads, cakes, anything which you have pre-cooked and kept in a cool box, crisps etc.
- Drum or rattle if you have one
- Blanket and / or chair to sit on for outside
- A cushion or low down chair to sit on in the workshops which are held in the Bell Tents if you struggle to sit on the floor. We only have a limited number of these available.
- A torch and spare batteries
- Warm clothes, cool clothes and waterproofs
- Sun cream
- Your journal
- All your camping equipment, unless you are staying in one of the Yurts, Wildwood Lodges or off-site. For guidance click here.
- Insect repellent
- Precautions for Ticks (see below)
- Musical instruments if you play
- Your contribution to the entertainment on the Saturday night, if you woul like to perform anything. This might be a story, poem, dance, music, chanting or anything else. Please note there is no need to contribute if you don’t want to, its just an option if you fancy
- If you are planning to do the Sufi Whirling then feel free to bring a poem to share or a drum to play. Please wear white or light colour long skirts or dresses and wear socks or soft soled shoes. Please bring a bottle of water, some chocolate for energy and a towel. You’re also encouraged to bring a journal with you so you can take notes afterwards.
- If you are planning to do the Dru Yoga workshop then please bring something to lie or sit on, and blankets cushions for relaxation.
- If you are planning to do the Dance Your Inner Deva workshop then please bring along something to tie around your waist if you have something.
As this is the open English countryside there is the risk of ticks which live on the coats of deer and drop off into the long vegetation, awaiting their opportunity to jump onto something warm blooded! Ticks carry a number of diseases including Lyme disease and precautions should be taken to avoid them. Click here for a list of precautions.
First time camping?
The nearest shop is the Shell Garage shop 1.5 miles away. The nearest pharmacy is in Ulverston and Bowness.
Terms and conditions
Please visit this link to read the terms and conditions for attending this festival. It includes information about the site and considerations you need to observe in order to ensure we can run this event for many years to come.